iFi Zen DAC V2
This product is currently sold out.
Thanks to the 16 core tech, the ZEN DAC V2 is now an MQA Decoder rather than a Renderer only.
This enables you to play back MQA audio files and streams, delivering the sound of the original master recording. The LED glows green or blue to indicate that the unit is decoding and playing an MQA stream or file, and denotes provenance to ensure that the sound is identical to that of the source material. It glows blue to indicate it is playing an MQA Studio file, which has either been approved in the studio by the artist/producer or has been verified by the copyright owner.
MQA rendering technology (used in the original ZEN DAC among other iFi products) connects to an MQA Core signal (such as TIDAL) and completes the final unfold of an MQA file. Usually, the computer has carried out the decoding.
Smooth and balanced
A new and improved low jitter, crystal clock means >20dB better performance. The super-low noise performance means the ZEN DAC V2 will remain quiet even in noisy situations such as yachts or RVs.
The balanced design for the analogue stage – rare and not found at this price point – makes it pretty special and delivers the best sound quality, normally found in higher priced models.
- The ZEN DAC V2 sports Balanced 4.4mm outputs at both the front and back. On the front, there’s also the popular 6.3mm headphone socket.
- ZEN DAC V2 from iFi audio
- Switch effortlessly between ‘variable’ and ‘fixed’.
- Set to ‘Variable,’ use the ZEN DAC V2 as a pre-amp to feed a power amp or active speakers.
- On ‘Fixed’ to bypass the volume control. Connect to an external pre-amp or integrated amp.
- Power. Drive. Performance.
- Our headphone amp has PowerMatch – switchable gain to perfectly match your headphones.
- For IEMs, normally high-sensitivity, leave PowerMatch at its lower setting for hiss-free listening.
- On/over-ear headphones with relatively low impedance require more power – press PowerMatch to increase the level of drive.
- Zen DAC — DAC/headphone amplifier
- Ace of Bass.
- The ZEN DAC V2 boasts TrueBass. This proprietary tech is a switchable ‘bass boost’ operating in the analogue domain. There’s no DSP with iFi gear.
- TrueBass enhances the bass but does not muddy the mid-range. Perfect for use with IEMs or open-back headphones which often lack bass.
- The ZEN DAC V2 is the ultimate chilling machine. Tune in and ZEN out.
- The XMOS 16-Core chip processes the audio data received via the USB* digital input.
This new low-latency XMOS microcontroller has greatly enhanced processing power. Compared to the current generation of eight-core chips, this new 16-core IC delivers double the clock speed (2000MIPS) and four times the memory (512KB), as well as the latest SuperSpeed USB standard.
iFi’s in-house digital development team has programmed the XMOS firmware to optimise sound quality and ensure a perfect partnership with the Burr-Brown DAC.
(* Also on S/PDIF on the NEO iDSD/Diablo)
The Burr-Brown True Native® chipset means file formats remain unchanged or ‘bit-perfect’. This means you are listening to music as the artist intended in the format in which it was recorded.
At iFi we use Burr Brown extensively in our products having selected it for its natural-sounding ‘musicality’ and True Native architecture. Our experience with this IC means we know how to make the most of it.
Hi-Res True Native® playback of all music formats from MP3 to DSD256, PCM384 and DXD384.
MQA (Master Quality Authenticated) is supported through the USB with full decoding of MQA files up to 384kHz thanks to the processing power of the new 16-core XMOS chip.
Check out how to set up your MQA decoder via Tidal, Roon and Audirvana here.
This means that the full ‘three unfold’ decoding process is performed internally, as opposed to only the final unfold in the manner of an MQA ‘renderer’.
Globally, MQA has become an important consideration for any comprehensively equipped DAC. It is available through for Tidal Masters, Audirvana and Roon.
Extensive jitter-eradication technologies are applied to the digital stage, including our GMT (Global Master Timing) femto-precision clock and the intelligent memory buffer.
The low-jitter crystal clock has been updated to provide >20dB better performance
It is a superior method to the traditional single-ended circuit approach. Balanced circuits reduce noise and crosstalk. Less Interference – clearer sound.
You normally find this set-up in products at the higher end of the price spectrum such as the Pro iCAN but iFi is now using this across its range to produce the best quality audio for all our customers.
- Input USB3.0 B Socket
- (USB2.0 compatible)
- Formats PCM (384/352.8/192/176.4/96/88.2/48/44.1kHz)
- DSD (256/128/64), DXD(384/352.8kHz),
- MQA (Decoder)
- DAC Bit-Perfect DSD & DXD DAC by Burr Brown
- Line Section
- Output Audio RCA (SE) — 2.1V fixed
- 1V / 3.3V max. (variable)
- 4.4mm Pentaconn (BAL) — 4.2V fixed
- 2V / 6.2V max. (variable)
- Zout <= 200 Ohm (BAL)
- <= 100 Ohm (SE)
- SNR < -116dB(A) @ 0dBFS (BAL/SE)
- DNR > 116dB(A) @ -60dBFS (BAL/SE)
- THD+N < 0.0015% @ 0dBFS (BAL/SE)
- Headphone Section
- Output Power (@1% THD) 4.4mm Pentaconn (BAL)
- 330mW@32 Ohm; 6.6V@600 Ohm;
- 16 Ohm - 600 Ohm Headphone
- 6.3mm S-BAL (SE)
- 230mW@32 Ohm; 3.3V@600 Ohm
- 16 Ohm - 600 Ohm Headphone
- Note: Using 5v power. If powered from USB, power output may vary.
- Output Impedance < 1 Ω (BAL/SE)
- THD & N < 0.005% (125mW @ 32R)
- SNR > 113dBA (6.2V BAL/3.3V SE)
- Power consumption < 1.5W via USB power OR 5v DC (power supply not included)
- Dimensions 160(w) x 117(d) x 35(h) mm
- 6.3" x 4.6" x 1.4"
- Weight (Gross) 0.8 kg (1.8 lbs)
- Warranty period 12 months